Sunday, March 6, 2011

I am Fierce

I made it!!!!!!!!  We successfully completed our first half marathon yesterday in Albany, GA.  After roughly 100 days of planning, preparation, and training, it all came down to just a couple hours.  This shirt and participant's medal may be two of the most well earned possessions I have.  I am fierce, and I deserve them.


At points during the race, I could not even think about the finish.  I never doubted that I would make it, but it seemed too distant through the pain and exhaustion to focus on.  However, I had asked Devin to remind me at any point when I struggled that I am fierce.  I know it sounds dorky, but just thinking about the word helped me finish.  It was my word all through training as well as for the race.  Obviously it worked, though, because here we are crossing the finish line!


Once we were across, I couldn't stop smiling.  The previous 2 hours and 27 minutes seemed like a blur.  Even now, I can only remember a handful of distinct thoughts during that time.  Amongst them, I can recall being grateful for all the volunteers who cheered me on.  I also remember hurting and being tired.  At the end, I laughed and cried in disbelief that I had done this.


I was so, so happy to be done with the race.  While it was a great experience, the best part was the feeling of being done.  In most of our pictures, this showed as me looking just a little bit crazy.  I was also exstatic that we had met our goal of under 2:30.  Granted, I would have liked to have done even better, but I know that there will be more races in the future.


One lesson learned is that I need to pre-fuel a little better before a race.  I had a few less calories than my pre-run norm because of my nerves.  It took just about everything I had to force down the packet of instant oatmeal I prepared.  I started to feel tired way too early into the run and that hampered my overall performance.  By the end, I was completely drained.


Several people have already asked me if this is something I will every do again.  I can safely say yes now, although I may not have back at mile 10 in the race.  The feeling of accomplishment was tremendous, and I'm actually excited to feel it again.  I can't say for sure when the next one will be, but I do have my eye on a couple halfs later this year.


After the race, we went to spend time at Devin's grandmother's farm.  His cousin April had also run the race.  So, we had a big family breakfast afterwards.  I gladly piled on the bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy, eggs, and orange juice knowing that it was all less calories than I had burned.  This breakfast was even better because of the time spent with the extended family.


Devin's mom was kind enough to make the trip down and then come out in the weather to take all of our pictures.  While 56 degrees and misting felt wonderful to our sweaty selves, it was not as pleasant for all the spectators.  Thank you to everyone who supported us through this crazy challenge, and we'll keep you posted on the next time!!

6 comments:

  1. AMAZING! I still cannot get over that fact that you are my sister and you ran a half marathon. Are you positive that we are related?

    Seriously, I feel like bragging about you to everyone I meet. We need to talk soon so that I can hear all the details in person.

    Do you realize that you even look good in the pictures? That's just wrong! You could at least look gross after running 13.1 miles. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Becky! That's an amazing accomplishment! I've gotten out of running, but would love to get back in and do a half marathon too! You are inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You amaze me! Seriously... you are fierce. I am amazed at what you accomplished in such a short time! I love the first two pics of you and Devin... crossing the finish and the one right after it. Your smile/wanting to burst into tears is priceless and captures the high emotion well. Love you sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good.For.You. Seriously, you are amazing. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're FIERCE! And beautiful and feminine and spunky. Devin did GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Go, Becky go! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete