Sunday, March 27, 2011

Peanut Butter Bites

If you need a good cookie cookbook, you can't do any better than this one.  I have had this book for years, and my coppy is now a little worn with specks of cookie dough throughout it.  It was a gift from my Grammam, which makes me treasure it even more.  I thought I lost it once during a move.  It led to a sad Christmas without some of these wonderful cookies.  Then it was found, and all was well.


Because I have this awesome book, we were able to make these amazing Peanut Butter Bites when we needed a sweet fix this evening.  I don't use the exact recipe in the book, though, because I've found a couple things that work just a bit better.  And, I will share my secrets here...but just for this recipe.


Peanut Butter Bites

1/2 c butter, softened
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c packed brown sugar
3/4 c creamy peanut butter (the original recipe calls for chunky)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (I don't actually measure this...I just add a small pour.)
1 1/3 c all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Add peanut butter, egg, and vanilla; beat until well blended. In small bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture gradually, stirring until a soft dough forms. (I always just use the mixer.) Shape into balls slightly larger than 1/2 inch, roll in sugar, and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten balls with a crisscross pattern using a fork. Bake 6-8 minutes until bottoms are lightly browned. (Tops will still be very light!) Transfer to a wire rack to cool then store in an airtight container. It's supposed to make 8 dozen bite size cookies but 5-6 dozen is more realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment