Friday, September 23, 2011

Job Offer...of Sorts...

I sort of had a new job offer recently.  And by "sort of," I mean that I had a physician ask me to consider transferring to his area at MCG because his unit had just lost  its social worker, and he felt I could do well there.  It would have been a big transfer, too, as it would have meant a change in departments as well as a switch to impatient.  When I tried to gracefully decline the offer, he asked if I'd consider it if there was a pay raise involved.  While I again declined (quite respectfully), it really got me thinking about how much I enjoy my current job, how far I've come since graduating school, and how much my ideas have changed.

Every once in a while, I think about how I miss inpatient work.  But, I don't miss it as in "I wish I was doing that instead of this."  It's more of an acknowledgement that there was a unique challenge presented inpatient, and I'm really good at rising to the opportunity.  Also, the unit I would be on was one I loved to visit during my internship at St. Mary's.  I really only ever worked with one or two patients there during that whole year, but would have given anything for a job in a similar unit right out of college.  Granted, the work would frequently be heart wrenching and all consuming, but it would also be so, so fulfilling and uplifting, too.  I would be very, very needed there.

So, why was my instinct to say no?  I know a good thing when I see it, I guess.  I work with two physicians that I highly respect and enjoy, and they respect and appreciate me.  I have a tremendous amount of autonomy and self regulation.  I get along with everyone I work with.  And, even though I work with geriatrics, I don't face death nearly as frequently as I would on the inpatient unit.  Sure, there are days when the circumstances of my patients bring me to tears.  But, there are at least twice as many good days where I get to hear life stories that predate my existence by decades--stories about love and war and pets and families.  I never thought I wanted to work with the elderly and frequently said so during undergrad.  But, as Devin frequently reminds me, I love them.  It's a natural fit for me.

While I would love the opportunity to tackle a new challenge, I just don't feel ready to leave place.  And, I loved the reminder that made me reevaluate my good fortune for having such a wonderful job.

No comments:

Post a Comment