Friday, June 3, 2011

Study Buddies

Yep, it's Friday night, and I'm on the blog.  Devin takes Step One in 13 days, so I'm finding lots of free time to fill right now.  We did share dinner with a friend, but Devin headed for his study room as soon as she left.  I'm now wearing my glasses and a pair of the husband's oversized shorts curled up on the couch with my lappy and 20/20 playing.  Definitely not a Date Night, but I'm okay with that.  When all is said and done, we'll spend 4 days in the mountains (out of cell phone range!!) with just us and our camping dogs

Occasionally, I do help Devin study.  Mostly, we do pharmacology because he has flashcards for this.  Lots of funny moments have come from these sessions.  Usually, they start with one of us asking, "Do you want to do drugs?"  Because it's a dumb joke, I always laugh. 

Another great moment occurred when I asked Devin something along the lines of "What drug attacks IgE?" to which he responded, "O-something-something-something-mab."  Of course, after some explanation (apparently this is the only one starting in O and ending in mab or something like that) it made more sense.  When I was sleepy and feeling a little punch drunk, though, it was pretty hilarious.

Of course, we have now started saying that, "Platinum hates the babies."  This was tied into cancer drugs but has become a nice inside joke.  However, you probably don't find it as funny because it would take too much explaining to get you on the inside of it.  But, I've documented it for me to remember in the future.

Lastly, we ended our study session one night when I asked Devin what a certain drug does, and he responded with "It makes you feel better."  It was good for giggles but bad for the tired, overworked brain.

I do want to say, I am very proud of Devin and how hard he is working to prep for this test.  I'm so grateful to him for working this hard so that he can assure us the most options possible when we're applying for residencies next year.  (Did you notice I said next year???  Crazy!!!)  He is working hard for our future, which really keeps things in perspective.  I have yet to complain about the lack of time with him (I only have to make it 13 more days!), but I sure will be glad when I all this is over!!

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this. I clicked over to your other links and I love the clever title of, "A Tale of Two Tails".

    It was great to read about you and Devin doing drugs together. You make me laugh!

    I have been lurking on your blog and I have to say, that video of Devin with your dogs on the bed is totally impressive. Devin has so much energy...the dogs are loving him as a playmate!

    The picture of you at the beach two in your previous post is so, so, beautiful. I love it!

    ReplyDelete