Friday, December 31, 2010

Dreams for 2011

When I was around 10 or 12 years old, I decided that everyone at our house on New Year's Eve had to write down their resolution.  Then, I wanted them to give them all back to me so that I could read them to everyone.  I'm guessing I would have probably harassed them all year to find out if they were sticking to it.  Needless to say, the only people who joined in were my younger siblings.  No one older than me wanted to be accountable to a child.  I think that was probably the last year I made a true New Year's resolution.  However, I am a big goals and dreams kind of person.  So, I have decided to share on my blog a few things that I want to happen in 2011.  Some of these I have been working on already, but that's what makes this list different than a resolution!

* I want a vacation with just me and my husband.  We got two great nights away for our anniversary last year, but I want a full vacay--not just a weekend escape.  Thankfully, we already have our cruise booked for April 2. So, this one can be crossed off in 92 days.  Before then, though, I need to get a new passport, find a hotel, book our shore trips, and shop!

* I want to run at least two races next year.  Obviously, I am already working on training for my first half marathon on March 5 (I paid our reservation fees last night!), but I want to do at least one more than that.  After the Snickers Half Marathon, I'll see if I'm up for another half, if I can handle a full, or if I need to cut it back to a 10k.

* I want to finish our kitchen.  This has been a project we have been putting off in our house, because we use the room soooo much.  We will need to commit to a week of hard work while having to eat out or microwave all our meals, because the stove will be gone while we are getting this all done.  We've had the ceramic tile for the floors since April, but I will also need to finally decide on a paint color and such.

* I want at least one good camping trip this summer.  I am perfectly okay with this trip only being two nights, though.  We've already decided that we won't feel guilty about leaving Max behind if he's not a good trail dog, but Blue definitely gets to come.  This trip would probably be hiking into somewhere fairly remote, too.  We'll start trying Max on some trails in the spring to see how he does.  If he's okay with it, he can come too!

* I want to have more fun this year.  I realize that I am the kind of person who can get too caught up in the details of life to step back and enjoy the moment.  This is something I want to work on.  If I am less stressed over the little things, those might even be more enjoyable also.

I don't think I am asking for to much this coming year.  Most of these "wants" are pretty manageable.  It's not like I'm asking to find a million dollars or have MCG declare Devin so smart that he gets to skip the last two years of medical school.  So, check back with me in 365 days to see how many of these things got accomplished.

On a side note, there are a lot of things I am just looking forward to next year.  I'm excited for Devin to start his rotations and get out of the classroom.  I'm excited to meet my new nephew. (Happy Birthday Logan!  He'll arrive in the world this afternoon!!)  I'm excited about looking at a calendar and seeing all the holidays and seasons--a new year equals a new one of each of these.  And, I'm excited to see what life holds in store for us these next 12 months!  I never would have imagined where these past 12 months would take us, so I'm sure I can only guess and where we'll be in life next December 31st!

Happy New Year!!!

1 comment:

  1. I think those goals are wonderful. They are not the usual 'less' or 'won't' goals. Instead of saying you WON'T do something, you are planning adventures. My overall goal this year is to "not just abstain but to gain". I think your goals are right along that mind set. Best of luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete