Thursday, December 9, 2010

High on Endorphins

I am almost two weeks into my half marathon training.  Already, I have learned a few valuable lessons.  here's a few: 

First, drinking Gatorade after every run helps prevent muscle cramps.  This includes the type that make it so you can't move your foot.  Second, it's easier to run on a treadmill with a tv.  Watching a cheesy Christmas movie or something on Discovery Health is very distracting.  Third, yoga is an even better compliment to running than I thought possible.  It is the perfect cross training exercise as far as I'm concerned.  My favorite lesson, though, is that endorphins are awesome.

I had a really, really good run tonight.  I ran farther before a walk break than I have in a while and have already shaved a good piece of time off of my Thursday run last week.  When I finished, I felt amazing.  I pushed myself pretty hard at the end, so I was pretty worn out when I first finished.  About a minute later, I felt like I was on drugs...good drugs.  Devin and I walked several laps and talked afterwards (as we always do), and I had to keep myself from starting to run again.  This reminded me why running can be considered addictive.  After a few laps, the feeling started to wear off, and I wanted to chase that high again.  But, I didn't.  Instead, I came home, drank my glass of Gatorade, did a little yoga to stretch, and started thinking about my run on Saturday.  Now, I'm going to go play QWOP with my husband and maybe eat a candy cane!!!  If you need a good laugh, you should check it out too...

1 comment:

  1. I tried playing QWOP. Any hints? I cannot get the guy to move correctly.

    ReplyDelete