Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Sister, My Friend


♪ I was thinking just today
About how we used to play
Barbie dolls and make-up
Tea parties dress up
I remember how we'd fight
We made up and laughed all night
Wish we were kids again
My sister my friend ♫
If it weren't for the 18 months, 2 weeks, and 2 days between us, we would have been twins.  At least, we generally acted much more like twins than just sisters.  We shared rooms, clothes, and even a bed at times.  Our younger years were spent creating secret languages and scheming to build the most awesome clubhouse, tree house, or alternative transit system imaginable.  Together, we created entire make believe worlds for our dolls, beanie babies, and barbies that never seemed to end.  I remember sneaking and staying up to watch the time turn from 9:59 to 10:00, because all the numbers changed at once on the alarm clock.  Of course, flying on a plane was never as much fun as it was when the two of us did it together. 

As we got older, we still spent just as much time together.  But, that time was spent shopping (and getting lost leaving the mall), stopping for breakfast together, and staying up waaay past ten talking.  When I left for college, you would come visit and we could cram as much fun as possible into the two or three days we had.  You were also there when I got married, flying across the country and back in a very short weekend just for me.  Then, you rearranged you travel to the family vacation this past summer to maximise our time together.

I love that you always trusted me to know everything when we were kids.  Even when I made up the answers to your random questions, you never doubted me.  You were always willing to go along with my crazy ideas and forgave me whenever I made a mistake.  You are at least as stubborn as me though and refused to be easily pushed over.  Together we have laughed, cried, celebrated, worried, cheered, and mourned.  I don't think I could have asked for a better sister or friend growing up.  Happy Birthday Kassie!

3 comments:

  1. Sister, I love you soooo much! Remember my story about the swimming pool and the pink dye... the one that talked itself into endless circles? And you just laughed despite how obnoxious it was. Remember the Blue Crew shirt that you bought me, and taking me to every football and basketball game so I wouldn't be a dork? Or the endless hours of hand sewing for our dolls? I wouldn't be me without you as a sister. Love you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Those song lyrics you posted as the photo caption are your ringtone... and have been for months! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness the swimming pool story...I swear it went on for days! And, I had actually typed about us sewing clothes but then changed it because we not only made clothes but sooo much more! And, I couldn't figure out how to work in the Blue Crew shirt or the time I fixed your hair before we rode in the Jeep! I love you sister!!

    ReplyDelete