Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Little Queasy

I know that Devin is going to be a doctor.  In fact, he was working on this goal as long as I've known him.  He took his MCATs just a few days before our first date.  I accompanied him on his interviews.  I photographed him being given his white coat.  I have helped him study for almost three semesters of school so far.  I am in the Medical Wives Club.  I work with one of his professors.  I should know that he is truely in medical school.  I don't think it hit home, though, until this came through his email.
What's that, you ask?  It is the proposed schedule for his third year rotations.  YIKES!!!  We talk about his rotations as in, "won't it be nice when you don't have to sit in class all day anymore?" or "won't it be nice if my abulatory care rotation is at MCG so that we can work together?"  But, nothing makes it more real than this chart.  I look at it, and I remember all the other wives talking about how their husbands were never home during this rotation or that one.  Pretty much, the only ones I haven't heard that about were the two week intersession slot and a couple of the electives.  For someone who is used to spending a lot of time with her husband, the idea of almost never seeing him is a little bit frightening.
In addition to the lovely chart, the email was filled with phrases such as "switched the lottery system to an automated system" and "marriage preference - definition and options."  The idea of us having less control than in the past is scary as is the idea that there could potentially not be any marriage preference given.  Then, Devin would be all over the state for rotations, not just in the Augusta area, and I would see him even less.  Of course, I know that this is all in the process of him getting to his doctor goal, but I just don't know that I relly thought the details through quite so much until now.  That is why I am a little bit queasy today...

(P.S. After writing this but before posting it, I talked to one of my sisters who reminded me that I can look at the bright side by being greatful that my husband will at least be around some unlike the wives whose husbands are in Iraq.  Or, I could not have a wonderful husband at all.  So I am greatful...just still a little concerned...)

1 comment:

  1. I am anxious with you to find out where Devin will be. Keep me posted sister... love you.

    PS I also realized how blessed I am. I hate my job hours, but then I realized... wait, I have a job. Thanks for the insight! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete