Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Accountability in the Blogosphere


This post mainly serves one purpose.  If I tell you all my goal, I will be held to reaching it.  I want to run a half marathon.  Eventually, I would like to run a whole marathon.  Right now though, I have begun to focus my efforts on training for the Snickers Marathon Energy Bar Half Marathon in Albany, GA on March 5, 2011.  I made my 14 week training schedule loosely based on the Marathon Rookie website.  I put the information onto a calendar to track where I'm supposed to be and what I've actually done.  I used this fun website to create my first couple running routes. 

Then, on Monday, I snapped a few pictures and headed to the gym (because the sky looked like rain any moment) to begin my first day of real conditioning.  Devin came with me because he also plans to run March 5.  It's been a couple months since I've run although I've remained active and have lost 10.4 pounds in the time since I last ran.  It. kicked. my. butt.  I did just over two miles, and my lungs were on fire.  Thankfully, today was my cross-training day, which means some relaxing and energizing yoga.  However, I have learned that while I can read all I want on the internet, I need some advice. 

For those of you who have done distance running (or even know someone who has) what words of wisdom can you pass on?  Also, I need new shoes before the race, but what other gear is essential?  Or, what is just good to have?

3 comments:

  1. Yikes! You are 100 times more motivated than me. There is not a fiber of my body interested in running a half marathon. Way to go! I'll look forward to hearing about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul ran that marathon in March of 2007! He said it's great for your first big race because it's all flat. He did all 26.2 miles and then couldn't stand up at the end ... but he ran the entire thing. Plus they hand out free beer to all the runners at the end! You guys will be in such great shape next Spring. Maybe I should get moving!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Becky!! What exciting news! Right now Dawan and Steph are training for that race too. Rumor has it, that it is one of the faster courses around.

    The best thing about running is the ONLY essential gear is quality running shoes. Other non essential things, (but things I really like are) dry fit running clothes, you will never want to go back to cotton. Next have a watch (I usually just get the generic $6 watches at walmart). Personally, I think all of the crazy fanny pack accessories are a little over the top (espeically if you are only doing the half).

    My outlook on running has completely changed the last month, I am pregnant and gaining tons of weight and trying to continue my daily running routine, I have never been more sore or tierd and less motivated. But I think nothing in the world feels better than finishing a marathon. I am so excited to watch you train :).

    ReplyDelete