Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Itching to Play

Max has been a very itchy dog lately.  As in, he's so itchy that he woke me up at 5:30 this morning, and I couldn't fall back asleep. (See also: beagle being given a nightly benedryl that he sometimes cheeks...)  Anyhow, he's been pretty irritated by all of this and is constantly finding a place to roll around and get a good scratch.  Hence, the funny pose you see here.


Thankfully, this isn't interfering with his sweet disposition and his love to play.  He's still getting rough with Blue...he just needs to stop for a scratch every once in a while, as evidenced by the very adorable video I wanted to load here.  However, blogger had some issues with it, so you'll just have to imagine it.

Of course, in the end Blue is still coming out the winner.  He's also been having some itchy skin (his belly was also bright pick yesterday), but it's been nothing compared to the Moose.  And, he's a little better a swallowing his occasional pill, too.


I know beagles are prone to skin allergies and are pretty naturally itchy.  And, I've seen a few mosquito bites on Max as well.  However, I want to do something to help him feel better.  He's already on a high quality, grain free food with omega fatty acids.  The benedryl helps, but we only give it to him at night because it makes him loopy.  Plus, I don't see that as a permanent solution.  I'm really worried that he's going to develop a hot spot if we don't do something soon.  I can't even stop himself from chewing at the itches with bitter yuck!  So, does anyone have a miracle solution for itchy dogs?  I'd love a suggestion for a great, soothing shampoo or a wonderful oatmeal rub...if these truly work.  Please share your advice!!

3 comments:

  1. Have you talked to your vet? I don't think I've ever noticed Slurpee being itchy. She scratches here and there, but that's it. Good luck with the poor little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try a flee or a mixed bug fighting bath for the both of them. Perhaps they got something outside. A trip to the vet may be good to see what's causing the problem. Some frontline or a tick/flee collar may be a good option to try too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - I'm a friend of Gabi's and happened across your post. If the itching is due to a histamine problem, you should try essential oils (therapeutic grade - not just the kind from the bath store) Equal amounts of Lavender and Roman Chamomille are a natural anti-histamine. I use it and it works better than cortisone cream. Also, to prevent hot spots, you can use peppermint oil (again - only use therapeutic grade). I get my oils from Young Living http://www.youngliving.com/en_US/index.html but there are other companies out there. Just make sure they say it is medical grade or therapeutic grade if you plan to try this because other oils are cut with synthetics that can be bad for your pet and you. Also, itching can be a hormone problem (at least it is in cats)so if the problem isn't bugs or allergies you may want your vet to check hormones.

    ReplyDelete