Monday, April 30, 2012

Ten for April

10. The front of our house is looking much more like spring!  We've spent a lot of hours this month working out there...Devin even more than me.  I've played with the loppers a good bit while he's been planting our spring/summer grass and preparing the flower bed and planters.  Then, he had to come behind me and get all the lowest branches on our bushes that I'd missed in my non-squatting state.

9. We've made a lot of progress as far as Devin's next year goes.  We are still working on figuring out his schedule, but we've at least got the first two months settled (we think).  He's also begun studying for Step Two, which he will take at the end of the summer.  He's spent time working on his VSAS application, which is how he will get an away rotation for next year.  Also, we are trying to work on a residency list.  He won't submit residency applications until September, but with a baby on the way, we are getting a jump start on researching programs now.  We currently have about 60 programs in consideration and should be cutting that roughly in half by the fall.

8. When we moved into our house two years ago, one of the things we disliked the most was our master bathroom.  But, it was still fully functional in it's very ugly state.  Because of this, it's a project that been pushed to the back burner.  This month though, we've put in a lot of man hours stripping wallpaper, picking new hardware, and prepping to paint.  I'll be even more excited once it is all finished!

7. This past month has been a pretty big month for our boys.  Blue is of course our awesome, obedient, loyal dog that we've rarely had problems with. (Please notice I said rarely.)  But, Moose is seeming a lot less puppy-ish these days and much more mature.  Yesterday, he was perfect through getting his nails trimmed, getting a bath, and his nightly eye cleaning.  (Blue was perfect, too.)  These used to all be dreaded tasks that we never would have wanted to tackle all in one day.  He's also learned to take a pill easily this month thanks to his allergies.  And, I may be biased but our boys seem to be getting sweeter, cuter, and more hilarious every single day.

6. We have two new local food options that we're loving this month.  Two Moms Cookies is just a little further up Central Avenue than our house.  Seriously, they make some of the BEST cookies I've ever eaten.  We look for opportunities to eat them ourselves and share them with others.  Crums is located a little further down the road from us on Central Avenue.  We've eaten there a few times in the past, but it was always for dinner.  And, it's a little pricey for us.  But, we've learned they have a lunch menu three days a week that is much more affordable and just as delicious!

5. I have become much more proficient at sewing this month.  I've spent a lot more time with my machine and am actually ready to tackler some bigger projects.  Well, I'll be ready as soon as I do a some shopping for supplies.  It's been a lot of fun to pick up a new hobby, but I've definitely fallen in love with expensive fabrics!  So, I'm having to pace myself in my purchases and projects.

4. This baby inside of me is pretty close to fully cooked at this point.  If I were to go into labor now, we'd be facing a NICU stay, but the chances of long term consequences from prematurity are pretty low.  My appointments are still just every two weeks and are pretty low key.  I pretty much go in to hear that my blood pressure is wonderfully low, the baby's heart rate is exactly where it should be, my weight gain is on target, and the baby is in a good position as far as can be determined at this point.  As long as that is what I keep hearing, I'm totally fine with going to as many appointments as they want!

3. Popsicles are my new best friend.  I'd been wanting the ones that you have to freeze once you get home for weeks but couldn't find them.  Finally, at our beloved Publix, we found a big bag of them for two dollars and change.  To make it even better, Publix had been so kind as to freeze them already!  We'd barely finished putting away the groceries before I tore into those.  I'm now on my second (very large) bag of them this month...but I really just opened in this weekend.

2. We've made some pretty fun progress on the cooking front.  We've now mastered the art of making homemade ravioli!  Our first attempts were pretty tragic, and we almost gave up it was working so terribly.  But, we persisted and have enjoyed them a couple times this month now.  We've also learned to make croquettes together.  I can't get enough of them now.  After craving french toast for days, I finally made it for us for breakfast one morning.  I hadn't done this in years but ended up with some of the best french toast I've ever eaten after picking some pretty good bread and busting out the electric skillet (both of which made a huge difference!).  We are also enjoying all the fresh fruit this season has to offer and have been eating quite a bit.  This past weekend, we tried out a new fruit dip that we've decided we must keep available at all times now.

1. Devin's radi-holiday may have ended, but he's now entered a nice period know as "Intersession."  It's two weeks dedicated to learning about critical illness and end of life care.  While the subject is not particularly upbeat, he only has four days of "work" spent with a local hospice, and the rest of the days are "filled" with two to four hours of lecture and discussion.  I'm grateful for the extra time that he has to be around.  Even with studying and step two prep, he's going to be very un-busy for the next couple weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment